FCMC Auxiliary – Volunteer Services
At Floyd County Medical Center, a special group of people generously give their time and talents every day to help fulfill our mission to improve the health and well-being of the community members we serve. These dedicated individuals make up the Floyd County Medical Center Auxiliary.
The Floyd County Medical Center Auxiliary was formed on September 1, 1960 under the name of Cedar Valley Hospital Auxiliary. On January 9, 1968, the by-laws were revised, at which time the Auxiliary became known as the Floyd County Memorial Hospital Auxiliary. At the present time we have 127 members.
Whether it is clerking in the gift shop, escorting patients to appropriate departments, or planning a fundraising event, our Auxiliary members provide many important services to our medical center, patients, and the surrounding communities. Here are just a few:
- Patient Escort – Our volunteers provide a friendly face, and assist FCMC patients by helping direct or escorting them to their appointments.
- Gift Shop – The gift shop carries a nice line of gift items including baby gifts, plush animals, exclusive cards, candles, books and snacks. Our volunteers in the gift shop assist with gift purchases, deliver cards and flowers to patients, and help maintain the foliage throughout the medical center.
- Scholarships – The FCMC Auxiliary serves not only the medical center and our patients, but also the people of the communities we serve. One way they do this is through educational assistance to community members pursuing careers in health related fields.
- Camp Sponsorships – Each year our Auxiliary sponsors camp experiences for children with medical needs. These sponsorships are open to children of Floyd County, or any of our surrounding communities, ages elementary school through high school.
- Equipment Purchases – One of the main reasons that the Auxiliary exists is to provide the medical center with things that their budget might not otherwise allow. Over the years Auxiliary members have raised and donated funds for such things as TV’s for the waiting rooms, training equipment for the nursing department, and patient education materials. Every year funds are donated for various needs and their support is greatly appreciated by medical center staff and patients alike.
- Public Relations – Auxiliary volunteers have provided many hours of service in support of medical center PR efforts, including helping out with open houses and medical center-sponsored clinics. Members log hours of service and incentives are awarded each year.
Auxiliary membership is open to all who wish to encourage and support the care and services of Floyd County Medical Center. For information on membership, or any of our services, please call Floyd County Medical Center at 641-228-6830 and leave your name and phone number with a gift shop volunteer.